Diversity Travel Award
For the first time ever, the New York Chapter and the Northeastern Division of the American Fisheries Society are offering a diversity-based travel award.to attend their joint annual meeting, February 6-8, 2019 at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel, in Poughkeepsie, NY. The annual meeting’s theme is “Fish on the Move”. This award is designed to encourage diversity within the chapter, allowing a recipient from an underrepresented group within fisheries the opportunity to attend the annual meeting and engage with members the fisheries community. The award will include a $150 check and free meeting registration. Recipients are asked to attend the business meeting (Feb 7) to accept their award.
**The only eligibility requirement is that the applicant be a member of an underrepresented group (women, ethnic or racial minority, other affinity group).
Application (3 parts):
Short Essays (1 paragraph per question)
- Please describe your interests or experiences that demonstrate your involvement in fisheries or other natural resource related issues. Experience may include activities at home or the community, volunteer work, workshops, employment, and/or school.
- Explain your reasons for wanting to attend the annual New York Chapter of the American Fisheries Society meeting. What do you hope to gain from this experience?
- Complete the “Diversity Questionnaire” (Word Document, PDF) and submit with the rest of your application materials
Email complete application (as one file) to: Stacy Furgal, Diversity Chair, [email protected] (formats: .doc, docx or .pdf)
- Deadline is January 14th, 2019
- Make sure you receive a confirmation from [email protected] that your application was received
Decision Notification: An appointed committee member will conduct the selection process and will notify the selected applicant of the award decision via email. Award winner must accept or decline their award within one week of notification.