The 2020 NY AFS meeting will be held from February 5-7th in Lake Placid, hosted by the High Peaks Resort. The theme this year is Coldwater Fisheries in light of Climate Change.
There is a great group of plenary speakers to present on various aspects of this topic:
- Brian Lantry, Supervisory Fish Biologist, USGS, Great Lakes Science Center, NY
- Ashley Moerke, Director of the Center for Freshwater Research and Education, and Professor, School of Natural Resources and the Environment, Lake Superior State University, MI
- Tony David, Director of the Environment Division, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, NY
- Nathaniel Hitt, Research Fish Biologist, USGS, Leetown Science Center, WV
- Paul Hai, Associate Director of the Adirondack Ecological Center and Northern Forest Institute, SUNY-ESF Newcomb, NY
Brett Towler and Bryan Sojkowski, USFWS (Sunderland, MA) will lead the Wednesday workshop on fish passage. They were originally scheduled to run the 2019 workshop (which was cancelled), so we’re glad to have them back on the program at the upcoming meeting.
The 3-day program will run very similarly to previous years – workshop on Wednesday afternoon with happy hour social, full day of talks on Thursday with all your meals provided including banquet and raffle, and a half day on Friday. In addition, we’ve added a few new items!
- Illustrated Fisheries Exhibit: Do you love to draw fish? Do you know an artist that specializes in underwater scenes? Do you document your field work visually? This year, we hope to feature a variety of artists working within the realm of fisheries. Entries can include anything from fine art to videography.
- Women in Fisheries Breakfast: Official first gathering! Come meet other women in fisheries; network, listen, and ask questions about career paths. More details to follow in the program!
Please submit your abstracts for climate change related research and other topics to present at the meeting!
Registration for the meeting is available here
Rooms have been held for our meeting at the
High Peaks Resort (https://www.highpeaksresort.com/hotels)
2384 Saranac Ave, Lake Placid, NY 12946-1105
(518)523-4411 / (800)755-5598
Missed Past Meetings? No Problem, check below