Cornell University – Bridgeport, NY
This position will work under the Director of the Cornell University Biological Field Station and provide administrative support across several projects and functions, coordinating activities according to the priorities and overall program goals set by the Director. The Administrative Assistant will work with the CBFS Director as well as on-site senior scientists on a daily basis. When the Director is not on-site, the incumbent will be responsible for making some independent decisions using the priorities and expectations given by the Director, and for keeping the Director appraised of progress and issues as they arise. Responsibilities will include general station management support including financial activities, support of conferences and meetings, general support of scientists, staff and visitors, ordering and inventorying equipment and supplies, providing external relations including serving a primary contact for outreach and general communications and maintaining station networks and computers.
- High School Diploma; more than 2 years relevant experience in a busy office setting and proven knowledge of administrative support functions.
- Working knowledge of computers (hardware and software).
- Evidence of ability to function independently.
- Must be personable, flexible, possess excellent organizational and communication skills and take pride in their work.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with students, faculty and staff.
- Visual concentration, attention to detail and manual dexterity are required.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must exercise sound and ethical judgment when acting on behalf of the University.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent that includes science courses.
- Experience in office and/or field station management.
- Proficiency in computer programs such as Word, Excel and Powerpoint and in electronic (incl. web) communications.
Background in environmental sciences, aquatic ecology and/or fisheries.
Initial appointment for 2 years with reappointment depending on performance and availability of funds. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
To apply, go to https://hr.cornell.edu/jobs/external-applicants.